It’s Thursday! You know what that means? Yes, tomorrow’s Friday which means it’s almost the weekend, which is always a plus. But that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about TGIT on ABC! Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, How To Get Away With Murder…. that’s right, I’m addicted to them all. Shonda Rhimes rules my life on Thursday nights. The shows finally came back last week after what seemed like a very, VERY long winter hiatus (seriously, I think the last episodes were before Thanksgiving), and I couldn’t be happier.
I have to admit, ever since McDreamy died (spoiler alert? Seriously, if you don’t know this by now, you’ve been living under a rock), I’ve been really bored by Grey’s. And this whole Meredith being attacked by a patient thing? Puh-lease. But I’ve watched it for this long, I feel like I have to stick with it. I just wonder how much longer Shonda’s going to limp this sucker along. Scandal & HTGAWM though…. giiiiiirl that shit is fabulous.
Anyway, on to these amazing cupcakes. I follow this food blog, Emily Bites, and she came up with this whole main course cupcakes idea that I’m totally in love with! I’ve tried a couple of her other versions (I promise to post them the next time I make them), and I’ve never been disappointed. It’s a great way to watch your portion control and they’re so darn cute! They are a little more time consuming to assemble than other dinners, but in my opinion, it’s totally worth it. Plus they’re delicious. Don’t mind the burned-looking edges. The edges brown up in the oven and get nice and crispy, but they strangely don’t taste burned.
A word to the wise, if you have leftovers, they’re much better reheated in the oven than in the microwave, in my opinion. I love the way the outside of the wontons are crispy and they just don’t re-crisp that well in the microwave. Just 5-10 minutes in the oven at 375° and they taste just like they did the first time around.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Cupcakes
Servings: 4 (3 cupcakes per serving)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked & diced
- 3 oz (6 slices) deli ham, diced (I used Hillshire Farm Honey Ham, Lower Sodium)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 8 wedges Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese wedges, chopped
- 9 slices swiss cheese (I used Sargento’s Ultra Thin slices), cut into 4 equal pieces
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 3 Tbsp plain panko crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly spray a standard muffin tin with cooking spray & set aside.
- Mix chicken, ham, mustard, and cheese wedges in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 3 minutes. Stir, making sure you mush the cheese up into the other ingredients.
- Push a wonton wrapper into each of the muffin cups. Spread half the chicken/ham mixture into the wontons. Place one of the swiss cheese pieces on top. Press another wonton wrapper on top and repeat the layering steps with the rest of chicken/ham mixture & swiss cheese, except use 2 pieces of swiss cheese on top instead of one.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Take out of the oven and sprinkle the panko crumbs evenly on each of the cupcakes. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broiler mode and cook for 2 more minutes. This will help the panko crumbs brown and get crispy.
Inspired by: Emily Bites