When I was a kid, I loved the garlic cheese bread that Pizza Hut had. Thick slices of Italian bread, covered in butter, garlic, and lots of ooey gooey cheese. It was literally the best part of going there for me. Pizza Hut doesn’t offer it on it’s menu anymore (just stupid cheesy breadsticks that just don’t compare), but it instilled a love of cheesy garlic bread in me that cannot be shaken.
I used to buy the Bellatoria cheese bread that you can find in the freezer section of the grocery store to satisfy my cravings. I have a very real obsession with their thin crust pizzas (seriously, it pains me not to eat it every day), and their cheese bread was just as delicious. But after joining Weight Watchers and actually starting to pay attention to what I was eating, I found that I just couldn’t fit it into my lifestyle anymore. Sadly the pizzas have gone by the wayside too, except for the occasional indulgence.
Rather than try to find a healthier option in the stores that might end up tasting like cardboard, I decided to try my hand at making it myself. I happened to have some Italian rolls left over from last week, so I popped those out of the freezer and got to work. And believe me, I was not disappointed. Cheesy, garlicky, buttery goodness on thick crusty bread. I was in heaven. The only change I would have made was to layer on the garlic powder a little more. I tried to take it easy due to my tendency to over-garlic everything we eat (what can I say? I LOVE garlic), but it’s garlic bread for goodness sake! It’s supposed to be super garlicky.
I paired it with some spaghetti with meat sauce and my craving was thoroughly satisfied.
Cheesy Garlic Bread
- 1 Italian roll (I used Gonnella)
- 2 tbsp light butter (I use Smart Balance Light), melted
- Garlic powder
- 1/3 cup (1 oz) part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut roll in half. Brush each half with melted butter. Sprinkle with plenty of garlic powder (seriously. Don’t be skimpy).
- Place bread on a cookie sheet and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove bread from the oven and remove foil. Turn oven to broiler. Top each half with mozzarella cheese and return to oven, uncovered, to bake until cheese is melted, about 3-5 minutes. Keep a close eye on it so that the cheese doesn’t burn.
Inspired by: Life in the Lofthouse