I would like to apologize for my lack of posting this past week. As I mentioned in my last post, I had a very busy weekend planned. I’ll tell you guys all about Thursday and Friday later this week, but first I need to share these cupcakes with you. They just can’t wait a moment longer.
My aunt got married this past weekend. She and her wife, Julie, have been together for SIXTEEN years, and they finally made it official on Saturday! I couldn’t be happier for them. It was a very, very simple ceremony- just them, a judge, and a few close family members and friends. I think there was a total of 10 people there, and most of us were wearing jeans. It was also the fastest wedding ceremony in the history of man, which is what they wanted, but it was still very sweet.
After the ceremony, we popped open some Prosecco to celebrate! Later, lunch consisted of grilled flank steak, mustard marinated chicken, tomato salad, and garlic bread. And then came dessert….
My aunt loves vanilla cupcakes and her wife loves chocolate, so I decided to make both so that they could each have a dessert they liked. While my chocolate cupcakes turned out well, the real star were these vanilla cupcakes. They are a simple vanilla cupcake topped with the most decadent white chocolate frosting. I LOVE white chocolate, even more than regular chocolate (which makes me weird, I know. I can’t help it). And this frosting was white chocolate to the core! I already have dreams of trying it over chocolate cake.
This is the first time I’ve ever tried beating the egg whites prior to adding them to cupcake batter. Beating the egg whites and then folding them into the batter helps to create a dense yet fluffy cupcake. It’s an extra step that really takes no time at all in the grand scheme of things, and it makes the cupcakes that much better. Trust me. Try it.
Vanilla Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla
White Chocolate Frosting
- 6 oz white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners or powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a different medium sized bowl, microwave butter in 30 second increments until melted, stirring frequently. Whisk in sugar. Whisk in sour cream, buttermilk, and vanilla until combined. Add in dry ingredients and stir until smooth. Batter will be very thick. Set aside.
- In a small bowl using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until they are thick and foamy, about 3 minutes. Fold egg whites into batter until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill cupcake liners with batter about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a middle cupcake comes out clean.
- While cupcakes cool, make frosting. In a small bowl, melt white chocolate in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds so that chocolate doesn’t burn. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium sized bowl, using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Switch the mixer to low speed and mix in powdered sugar a little at a time. Mixture will be dry and crumbly. Quickly stir white chocolate so that it’s smooth, then pour into butter/sugar mixture. Switch mixer to medium speed and beat mixture until it’s smooth and creamy. Add cream and vanilla and mix until combined. Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.
Inspired by: Sally’s Baking Addiction