Ok, so I’m sharing another dessert. Are you guys sick of desserts? I hope not, because I’m not. I was going to post about another recipe, a casserole or a side dish or something, because I was worried you guys might be sick of desserts, but then I thought who cares? I still want to talk about dessert, so I’m going to do it! What can I say? I’ve had a really big sweet tooth lately.
I actually made these brownies a few weeks ago during the opening weekend of March Madness. As I mentioned back then, in order for me to be allowed to watch all the games with my husband and his friends, I was required to grease the wheels with some baked goods. We spent the weekend at our friend Derek’s place, and Derek requested brownies, so I perused my handy-dandy Pinterest boards and settled on these babies.
I’ve made brownies with a cheesecake swirl before, but never one that was peanut butter flavored. There are few things in this world that go together better than chocolate and peanut butter, and then you add the tanginess of cheesecake? Sign me up!
Now if you’re not a big fan of chocolate, these brownies are not for you, and we probably shouldn’t be friends anymore. They are very thick and very chocolatey. Almost fudgy. I personally like my brownies a little less on the fudgy side- my favorite brownies are the Betty Crocker ones from the box. Ridiculous, I know, considering how much I love to bake, but I can’t help it. I love those things. But these brownies were delicious nonetheless.
To keep the brownies from getting too gooey, make sure you store them in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve them. I left them out for most of the day during the tournament, but I thought they tasted best right out of the refrigerator.
Peanut Butter Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
Servings: About 30-36 brownies
For the brownies:
- 14 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 6 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
For the peanut butter cheesecake layer
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 9×13 pan with aluminum foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine the butter and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl and set over a pot of simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture becomes smooth. Remove bowl from heat.
- Whisk sugar into chocolate mixture, then eggs, then cream cheese, then cocoa powder. Stir until smooth and well blended. Mix in vanilla and salt. Add in flour and stir until just incorporated. Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- To prepare the peanut butter layer, mix cream cheese, peanut butter, and sugar using an electric mixer in a medium sized bowl, until smooth. Blend in egg and vanilla until incorporated.
- Drop peanut butter layer over the brownie batter in spoonfuls, creating a cobblestone appearance. Using a knife or a wooden skewer, gently swirl together the peanut butter mixture and the brownie batter.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in the middle of the pan comes out clean. Refrigerate pan until completely cooled. To cut, remove brownies from pan using aluminum foil to lift them out. Cut using a very sharp knife. Store in the refrigerator.
Inspired by: Annie’s Eats