Hello again friends! Did you all have a good Memorial Day weekend? Peter and I spent the weekend in the Northwoods at his family’s cabin. Peter’s mother’s family share a cabin in a tiny little town called St. Germain, which is near Eagle River, about 5 hours north of Milwaukee. We met up with Peter’s mom and Peter’s older sister’s family on late Friday night and spent the weekend fishing, boating, and trying to avoid being rained on. I also got to spend some time with my best friend from high school and her new son, Remy, which was exactly what my baby-loving soul needed.
Peter and I had decided to extend our long weekend a little bit longer, so we didn’t get back to Milwaukee until yesterday afternoon. We also took this coming Friday off of work since that’s the day we close on our new house (omg yay!), so my workweek is crazy short this week. A girl could get used to this!
Over the weekend, we celebrated Peter’s mom’s birthday, which was back on May 24th. As I’m sure I’ve mentioned before, Paula is a total chocolate lover, so I decided to whip up these yummy chocolate pudding Reese’s cookies to help us celebrate.
These cookies are so easy to make, it almost feels like cheating. Since we’re going to be moving very soon, I was determined to use ingredients that I already had stockpiled in my kitchen cabinets…. enter a box of chocolate cake mix, chocolate pudding mix, and a bag of miniature Reese’s peanut butter cups, and I was in business (I’ve mentioned that I’m a total food hoarder before, right? The fact that I had these ingredients just laying around the house for no purpose at all should prove that point).
Using a cake mix as the base for the cookies makes this batter come together in no time flat. When all was said and done, I had the batter made, the cookies baked and the dishes cleaned up in less than 30 minutes. Hard to beat that!
The cake mix makes the cookies dense, yet fluffy, and the pudding mix keeps them super moist. And those bits of Reese’s peanut butter cups in every bite? Pure heaven.
Chocolate Pudding Reese’s Cookies
Servings: 34 cookies
- 1 (15 oz) box devil’s food cake mix (or chocolate cake if you can’t find devil’s food)
- 1 (3.4 oz) box chocolate pudding mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 15 miniature Reese’s peanut butter cups, cut into fourths
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpat mats and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together devil’s food cake mix and chocolate pudding mix. Using a wooden spoon, mix in vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- Carefully mix in Reese’s cup pieces, being careful not to over mix, so as not to break apart the pieces too much.
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls (use a ice cream scooper if you have one) onto prepared baking sheets. Flatten each ball of batter slightly by pressing down using the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until cookies are just set (the middle will still appear soft). Allow cookies to cool on baking sheets for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.