Can you guys believe it’s already the first day of Summerfest? For those of you not from Wisconsin or near the Milwaukee area, Summerfest is a giant music festival that invades the Milwaukee lakefront for a full week and a half at the end of June. It always starts on the last Wednesday in June and runs through the following weekend, with a break in the festivities only on the 4th of July.
I love going to Summerfest, if not for the music, then definitely for the people watching. People from all walks of life come out of the woodwork for this festival because it’s a great excuse to walk around, enjoy some live music, and have a few cocktails (hey, we do live in Wisconsin after all). There is never a shortage of incredibly interesting people to set your sights on during Summerfest time.
Peter and I are planning on heading down to the Henry Maier Festival Park on Friday night to take in the Blake Shelton concert. My parents are coming into town for the concert, along with my older brother and sister-in-law, and a couple my parents have been friends with for about a billion years. So even if the concert ends up totally sucking (unlikely), I know the night will be a lot of fun.
With summer now in full swing, I’m always looking for ways to get good meals on the table while simultaneously staying out of the kitchen as much as possible. Which means I’ve been busting out my crockpot pretty often lately!
This is one of those super simple recipes that I make all the time. It’s requires basically zero forethought and zero prep time, and only three (THREE!) ingredients, which means it will always be a winner in my book. There’s almost always some chicken taco meat hanging around somewhere in my refrigerator, just in case I get a craving for it (which happens often lol).
Cooking the chicken slowly in the crockpot makes the meat so tender that it practically falls apart with just the slightest pressure from a fork. It also helps to infuse the flavoring of the salsa and the taco seasoning deep into the meat which makes it perfect for tacos, nachos, quesadillas, burritos, or just about anything else you could think of. I made a huge bowl of this chicken taco meat over the past weekend along with a large amount of my perfect oven-baked brown rice, so Peter and I have been eating burrito bowls for lunch all week, and we couldn’t be happier about it!
Super Easy Crockpot Chicken Taco Meat
Servings: About 3-4 cups of taco meat (will vary depending on size of breasts)
- 1 (16 oz) jar salsa
- 1 (1 oz) package taco seasoning
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, frozen
- Pour salsa and taco seasoning into crockpot and stir together. Place frozen chicken into crockpot and cover crockpot with lid.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or until internal temperature reads 165 on a meat thermometer when stuck into the thickest part of the breast.
- Remove chicken from crockpot. Scrape off any fat that’s liquefied during the cooking process. Shred chicken using 2 forks and place shredded chicken into a bowl.
- Pour about 3/4 cup of the remaining salsa mixture into the chicken and stir until chicken is fully coated. You may need more or less of the salsa, depending on the size of the chicken breasts and how much meat you are able to get out of them. Just continue to add salsa until meat is moist and juicy, but not so much that it’s drowning in salsa.
To freeze: Follow all instructions, then place chicken in a resealable freezer bag. Thaw in the refrigerator, then heat in the microwave before serving.
Inspired by: Chocolate Therapy