Shredded beef smothered in a homemade spicy barbecue sauce on a soft pretzel bun. The perfect sandwiches to serve the next time you have people over to watch the big game!
Slow Cooker Spicy BBQ Shredded Beef Sandwiches
You know what I love about fall? EVERYTHING. The cooler temperatures that make for perfect sleeping weather. The changing colors on the trees. The apple picking and the pumpkin carving and the sound of a fire crackling in the fireplace. Seriously, fall is my hands-down favorite season.
You know what else I love about fall? The return of football season! Football basically takes over our household as soon as Labor Day has passed us by. Both Peter and I are huge Packer and Badger fans (we do live in Wisconsin, after all), and we never miss a game. But really, we just love watching football in general. It’s rare for there not to be a game on in our house once autumn hits.
Since we knew that the Packers were going to have a bye this week, we invited Peter’s family over last Sunday to watch the game and I made these delicious spicy barbecue beef sandwiches for lunch.
To be perfectly honest, I didn’t really realize these sandwiches were going to be spicy when I was making up the barbecue sauce (Yes, I know there’s chili sauce in them. I blame my pregnancy brain for not putting 2 + 2 together). But don’t worry, the meat isn’t like spicy spicy; there’s just a little bit of heat that makes them taste even better.
The other great thing about these sandwiches is that they’re pretty simple to put together. I seared the meat and mixed up the sauce the night before, so all I needed to do on Sunday morning was toss everything in the crockpot and turn it on. And let me tell you, the smell of the meat simmering in this sauce all morning…. it was almost too much for me to handle! I couldn’t wait to dig in once lunchtime rolled around, and I was definitely not disappointed!
Slow Cooker Spicy BBQ Beef Shredded Beef Sandwiches
Servings: 8 sandwiches
- 1 (2 lb) boneless chuck roast, trimmed of fat
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chili sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp A1 Sauce
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tbsp molasses
- 1/2 tbsp dried parsley
- 8 pretzel buns (you could also use plain hamburger buns or sandwich rolls)
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- Season roast liberally with kosher salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once olive oil is hot, place roast in the pan to sear. Turn roast over every 3-4 minutes until all sides are seared. Place roast in the slow cooker and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine onions, garlic, chili sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, A1 Sauce, dijon mustard, molasses and parsley. Mix well. Pour mixture into slow cooker over roast. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Once roast has cooked through, remove it from the crockpot to a cutting board. Shred with 2 forks (being careful to remove any remaining fat) and place meat back into the slow cooker with the sauce. Keep slow cooker on warming setting until you’re ready to serve.
- Serve on buns / rolls, topped with a slice of cheddar cheese.
Inspired by: Spend with Pennies